Saturday, August 31, 2013

baby bird.



this sweet boy started a two day a week pre-school through our church yesterday.

to say he was excited would be an understatement.
we spent the whole day before talking about it and preparing for it.

as i drove him to drop him off, floods of emotions started pouring in.
i glanced at this boy in the back seat, looking adoringly back at me, and i saw my heart.

my heart, living fully in me and yet fully separate from me.
for a moment, i wanted to turn the car around and never try to do such a silly thing again.

but then, his joy,
his eagerness,
his excitement,
his courage...
all bottled up in this little one, 
inspired me.

he was a little bird, ready to try flying for the first time.

and i was his mama, ready help him take that first step.
ready to catch him when he falls,
and let him linger in my embrace when those falls hurt.
ready to help him stand back up and cheer him on as he tries again.
ready to be the first to tell him how proud i am.
ready to be there for him always and forever, 
believing he will be all that God desires for him.

so, i continued driving, 
arrived at the church and unloaded him from the car with equal amounts of excitement.

he never stopped holding my hand until we mad it into his class, met his teachers and sat at the table.

i hugged him and he hugged me back even tighter.

i told him to have fun and that i would be back soon to get him.

he just smiled and then started working on a puzzle.

my brave first born.

you have my heart, son.

and i cherish you more than you will ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment