Tuesday, November 19, 2013

on parenting and correction.




i find myself engulfed in a refining season of parenting.

one that has me wrapped up in loving my boys holistically.

loving them with all the affection i have to give.
all the kisses and soft caresses.
all the kind words and encouraging affirmations.
all the gentleness i can muster.
all the quality time and focused attention.
and all the purposeful correction required to show that our ways are not God's ways.

this last part is hard.
it is hard because i am so very aware of the stories i am telling my boys about who they are when i have to correct and teach right from wrong.

i worry that i will communicate that i am more concerned about their behavior than their hearts.
and i want no part of this.

i want them to walk away with the message that none of us can do "good" apart from God.
that it is difficult for everyone to choose the truth.
that our nature begins in stark contrast to what God desires for us.

i want to communicate that to choose good over evil,
to obey with a cheerful heart,
to be patient and delay gratification,
to speak kindness over everyone,
to express emotion without hurting others...

can only be done by the grace and sufficient strength of a Savior.

i want to communicate above all that they need perfect LOVE.
that they need their hearts to be transformed.
that they need a God full of forgiveness and new beginnings.

my chief goal is not that they exhibit behavior that merely "looks good."
or even worse, that makes me look good.

in essence, every time i engage in a moment of correction,
i want to speak the gospel to them.
and pray all the while that their hearts are softened and turned to embrace the God that I adore.

that they find their true identity in Him.


"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old earth had disappeared... I heard a loud shout from the throne saying, 'Look, God's home is now among His people! He will live with them, and they will be His people. God Himself will be with them. He will wipe every tear from their eyes and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever!' And the one sitting on the throne said,
'Look, I am making everything new!' 
And then He said to me, 'Write this down, for what I tell you is trustworthy and true.'" - Rev. 21:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment